Friday, October 14, 2011

Nutella Packaging

Ever since I was a wee little one, I’ve been amazed at the Nutella packaging design. I grew up in Europe and obviously Nutella was my choice of delicious spread so I forced my parents/grandparents to constantly have it in the house. I was so obsessed with it that I used to eat it in spoonfuls (actually still do till this day). What’s so intriguing about it is that it’s packaged for repurposing.

I actually found a really neat website that features a large selection of repurposed designs, although I didn’t see Nutella on it! Here is their definition:
Design for Repurposing is a evolved design strategy that incorporates the concept of repurposing in product design in order to extend the longevity of products by intentionally designing features or details that facilitate repurposing.”
http://www.designforrepurposing.com
Check it out!

In Europe, the Nutella container is actually a drinking glass. How awesome is that? And this idea comes from way back in the 70's! About 10 years after Nutella started up as a company. I think the main reason why my family was content with my addiction to Nutella was that they were benefiting from it with a really nice glass collection. Also since everything in Europe is pricey and there aren’t any dollar stores to do some cheap shopping in, this is an ideal sale! Anyone would feel bad throwing out a perfectly good glass so it is almost definite that the packaging will have a second life. Throughout my stay in Europe, Nutella went through about 3 different glass designs (short, tall, hexagon) with no logo or writing on them which made them perfect for any occasion whether it be fancy or casual. I’ve however been out of the loop with regards to the packaging and found many collections online with printed designs such as the Simpsons or Disney characters! I think they were limited releases. Currently in Italy there will be a new release of Nutella glasses with a playful design based around their logo. I don’t think this will be as successful since most people don’t want advertisements in their home but I’m sure people will still make use of it.

Too bad in America they all come in plastic!

Nutella Ads 60s-70s in Italy where it originated:
http://www.nutella.it/heritage_campagne.php





















No comments:

Post a Comment